Monday, March 23, 2009

1 Across: Another word for a stupid editor

During my years in newspapers, I've learned lovers of crossword puzzles are discerning and particular. And very verbal. If you're one of them, I realize you are not unlike the passionate lovers of comics, Jumble, Word Scrimmage, Sudoku, and every other non-news feature we run in the paper.

You've got your morning routine and it includes coffee, the morning paper and time spent playing your favorite game. And, boy, you don't like it changed.

On the occasions when either economic necessity or the retirement or death of the creator has forced us to change one of these features, I always hear from its most ardent lovers in the most colorful of ways.

So when we had to change one of our two daily crosswords this week because the creator retired, I knew I could expect to spend a large portion of Monday responding to aggrieved readers who let me know in no uncertain terms 1) how much they loved the now-gone feature and 2) how stupid they think I am for making the change.

Here's one the nicer comments sent to me:

You underestimate the intellingence (sic) of your readers. The new crossword puzzle is terrible!!!!!! This crossword puzzle is geared for an elementary student, which is fine if that is the age group you are trying to reach. Bring back the old puzzle, it was perfect. I do not want a puzzle that you can write in the answers as fast as you can write. I want to think. My day starts by reading the paper and working the puzzle. The paper is now smaller and doesn't take very long to read but that is okay because I still had my crossword puzzle to start my day. Now you have printed a puzzle that is so simple it requires no thinking. Being a senior citizen it is important to use our brains and this new puzzle uses very little brain power. The only good thing about it was the boldness of the print and the size.

When Wayne Williams, the editor of the puzzle we previously used, retired he sent a letter recommending this new version. Here is a portion of what he said: "The differences between the puzzle I edited and Stan's are rather subtle and should not ruffle your readers. . . In my opinion, this offers your best and simplest transition and will keep your puzzle audience actively involved in hobby."

One point which Williams also made is that the new puzzle gets tougher as the week moves along. So if you were among those who thought Monday's puzzle is too easy, please wait until Friday. Then tell me if you still think the correct answer to 1 Across is: IDIOT

If so, I'll take this as my clue to Mr. Williams' sales pitch:
2 Across: PT Barnum said one is born every minute

No comments:

Post a Comment