Thursday, October 22, 2009

Southwest Airlines: Where has all the fun gone?

We all know the reputation which helped build Southwest Airlines.

Fun in the skies.

Flight attendants who joked.

And sang.

And made fun of the instructions while telling you things like, "Really. The seat beneath you which barely has enough padding to support your rear quarters, is a flotation device. Trust me."

Their non-corporate ways have gone bye-bye faster than the planes.

Yes,I'd heard of those flight attendants. Like I'd heard of a T-Rex and 10-cent coffee and newspapers which everyone read with more daily commitment then they gave to attending church.

But finally, last Sunday I had the fun of being on a flight with those high flying Southwest Dinosaurs.
And, it was fun. And funny.

And the passengers clapped at the end of their routines.

And we all felt better about flying.

And for no rational reason, I felt like the odds were good I'd make it to my destination.

And my sense of well-being about the world rose.

And I felt really good about picking Southwest, too.

Did I mention passengers clapped?

Granted, the singing wasn't that great and the jokes weren't that funny, but the unexpectedness of it made up for any lack of talent.

And the passengers clapped.

And I went to my destination happier than I would have been if I hadn't been on that flight. For that I am thankful. I suspect others were, too.

On the return flight, sadly, the Southwest Dinasaurs were extinct replaced by flight attendants who thought they worked for .... well, American.

We got home safely -- and my motto is any flight that lands safely is a good one -- but, trust me, it wasn't nearly as much fun.

3 comments:

  1. Dawn,

    The Problem is we are hiring lots of Ex-Flight ATtendants from these other legacy carriers where this type of behavior is irregular and frowned upon.

    I still tell jokes, play games with passengers and if you are on my flight and I am flying up front, I promise you will have a great time and enjoy your flight. We are still out here and even though some of our own leaders and management have tried to clamp down on our jokes, puns and witty cabin beavhior, there are many of us who risk discipline to bring you this little extra flare when flying Southwest.

    In closing, thanks for continuing to allow the Flight Attendants of Southwest Airlines to serve you.

    -BWI Flight Attendant
    Southwest Airlines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dawn! Myself, and those like me, have been begging Southwest to bring back the fun through the hiring and training process! It's not just great for the passengers, it's great for US! The trip goes by so much faster when you take the time and effort to enjoy your job! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It used to be fun to fly Southwest, and the personality of the attendants and crew made up for the cattle chute loading process. Now we get a lottery for tickets the night before, and well, American and Continental style and panache (maybe the yankees get it, but in Texas it don't fly).

    ReplyDelete